KU Leuven has a full-time vacancy for academic staff (professor) in Mechanical Engineering at the Technology Cluster Mechanical Engineering Technology, Group T Leuven Campus. The topic of the vacancy is haptics and virtual reality with a specialization in design and validation of haptic technology to interact with different instances of mediated realities.
KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. Our university is highly focused on interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research and strives for international excellence. Leuven is located in the center of Belgium, 30 minutes from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than three hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
The focus lies on medical applications, but results could find leverage beyond this field. We are looking for internationally oriented candidates with an excellent research track record, with educational competence in the field of mechanical design, control and automation, oriented towards applications in industry. The successful candidate will be appointed at the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Faculty of Engineering Technology of the Science & Technology Group.
You provide high-quality education to both Bachelor and Master students in the field of mechanical engineering such as mechanical design, mechatronics and automation, with a clear commitment to the quality of the programme as a whole. All professors are expected to teach a few basic undergraduate courses.
In this profile you will develop an international research program on haptic mediality. You will research and develop new ways of equipping real, augmented or virtual environments with haptic overlays, haptic guidance or haptic feedback in order to fully explore the possibilities of haptic mediality and realise new or improved medical/surgical applications.
You are prepared to provide scientific, societal and internal services. In particular, you are willing to provide services to the Government and to (regional) industry in the context of applied research assignments. Therefore, you stay up-to-date with both scientific state-of-the-art and with industrial state-of-practice in the field of mechanical design and automation.
Type of Contract
We offer full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment and with a high degree of freedom.
You have a PhD in Engineering Technology, Engineering Science or a similar degree relevant to the vacancy.
You have a strong research track record in the discipline, evidenced by your publications or by your research experience in industry. You have the ambition to contribute to the valorisation of research in industry and in society. International experience is an important advantage.
Proficiency in English is required.
The official language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings.
How to apply
You can submit your application until October 05, 2020, only through our online application tool.
Add to your application following documents in English (more information is available on the KU Leuven job site):
- your biosketch in which you indicate your added value as an academic for research, education and service to society of your past career and of your future activities (maximum 2 pages);
- a file on your five most important publications or realizations;
- an extensive cv including a full publication list and if applicable a portfolio of your architectural projects;
- your research plan with focus on the development of your research line and research team in relation with the colleague-researchers of the entity of employment (maximum 4 pages);
- your vision on academic education and its organization (maximum 2 pages);
- your contribution to society by outreach and public communication on science and technology, internal representation in boards and councils and service activities directly in relation to your developed expertise (maximum 1 page);
- your vision on leadership (maximum 1 page).
For more information on the contents of the job, please contact:
- Prof. Dr. ir. Joris De Schutter, departmental chair Mechanical Engineering (email@example.com, +32 16 32 24 79)
- Prof. Dr. ir. Koen Eneman, campus chair Group T Leuven Campus (firstname.lastname@example.org)